Mac Huff is entering his third decade as one of the leading arrangers and composers in the music industry. His academic background includes degrees from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the University of Texas-Austin, as well as summer study at the Aspen Music Festival and doctoral work at the University of Southern California. Mac is also an accomplished pianist, musical director, performer, teacher and clinician. Over the years he has composed, arranged and musical directed award winning shows for ABC-TV, NBC-TV, The Walt Disney Co., Hallmark, Inc., and many others. In addition, he is in demand as a lecturer and as a guest artist for various music festivals and workshops throughout the world.
1. Please describe your basic setup. (Your technical setup as well as the physical space that you work in.)
I use Finale and Digital performer. In the studio, we add Roland sounds.
2. What is your process for brainstorming or inspiration-seeking as you start a new arrangement?
I work away from the keyboard at the beginning of most arrangements. I usually have mutiple projects going on at the same time, so I can leave something new and come back to it as inspiration grows.
3. What is your go-to snack and/or drink when arranging?
4. What is one thing you wish you would have known when you started arranging?
I coiuld have charged more. 😀
5. What is your favorite shortcut or time-saving trick in your notation software?
Cut and paste on Finale. (It’s a double edged sword, however.)
6. What is a favorite arrangement of yours?
I have lots of favorites. Most of which you can find at machuff.com or halleonard.com.
7. How can people get ahold of you?
I have been an exclusive writer for hal leonard since 1989. I have nearly a thousand things in print. Sheetmusic direct is a great digital resource for my work.